Hello everyone, I hope you are enjoying this wonderful sunny weather we’re having!
A lot of people were asking about how I made my latest cupcake, the KitKat Cupcake with duotone frosting. It’s actually quite easy! Here are the steps:
1. Make 2 different batches of frosting that are different colours
2. Spoon 1 colour of icing and place it in the bag, with the icing facing towards the plastic so that it sticks. Do the same with the other spoon. (This step is really hard to explain so just look at the picture). By having the spoons back to back, you can prevent the two colours of icing from mixing
3. Scrape the icing off of the spoon by pressing on the outside of the piping bag while pulling the spoon out
4. Squeeze out the air bubbles by lightly pressing on the bag to even out the icing distribution
5. When the icing looks tightly packed in the icing bag, you’re ready to pipe! Before you start piping on a cupcake, grab a plate and pipe some frosting out first. This will eliminate the uneven distribution of the two colours of icing. Stop piping on the plate when the icing comes out with an even distribution of both colours. Here’s a picture of what uneven distribution looks like:
6. Pipe on the cupcake using your favourite technique, and voila! You have your duotones frosting that is sure to wow everyone!
*If you want to do rosettes, here’s a step by step diagram of what I did for my MRE Cupcakes!